Morocco head coach Walid Regragui has been banned for four matches, two of which are suspended, by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
Regragui and former Newcastle United defender Chancel Mbemba clashed following the full-time whistle in Sunday’s 1-1 draw between Morocco and DR Congo. The argument between the pair sparked an altercation involving players and staff of both nations, lasting a few minutes before dissipating.
A statement from CAF said the disciplinary board found the Moroccan FA (RMFF), the Congolese FA (COD) and coach Regragui guilty on separate charges.
Two matches of Regragui’s ban have been suspended for a year, while he was also fined $5,000.
The Moroccan FA (RMFF) said in a statement that they would appeal the decision, “which it considers wrong”.
Regregaui’s ban means he has sat out of his side’s final Group E clash against Zambia. He will also miss Morocco’s last 16 game unless the RMFF’s appeal is successful.
Morocco beat Tanzania 3-0 in their opening AFCON fixture before the 1-1 draw against DR Congo.
Regragui is not the first coach to be suspended by CAF at this AFCON. Tanzania manager Adel Amrouche was handed an eight-match ban following comments and allegations made about the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) after his side’s 3-0 defeat last week. Tanzania subsequently suspended Amrouche and replaced him for the duration of the tournament.
Regragui was appointed on a four-year deal as Morocco head coach in September 2022, replacing Vahid Halilhodzic.
He guided Morocco to the semi-finals of the Qatar World Cup just a few months later, as they topped their group and beat Spain and Portugal before losing against France.
AFCON 2023 permutations: Ghana and Algeria are out but how can Ivory Coast reach knockout stage?
(Alex Pantling/Getty Images)