A beloved vestige of Old Hollywood has been spared from destruction—at least, for now. Last week, the New York Post reported that the Marilyn Monroe’s Brentwood Spanish Colonial was on its way to being demolished. The publication claimed that the current owners of the storied residence, where Monroe’s body was found in 1962 after an alleged barbiturates overdose, recently filed for a demolition permit. Thanks to a unanimous City Council vote on Friday that halted the process, the 2,900-square-foot hacienda—which was the only home the Golden Age starlet ever owned—may instead be preserved and recognized as a culturally and historically significant monument, according to the Los Angeles Times.
It was reported last week that the initial stages of the demolition process had already been approved by the city’s Department of Building and Safety. Per the LA Times, the department now plans to revoke the demolition paperwork that was filed. From here, LA’s Office of Historic Resources will research and assess the home and present their findings to the Historic Cultural Commission, which will then make their recommendation to the City Council. The entire bureaucratic process has a deadline of 75 days.
“Immediately my team and I sprung into action,” 11th District Council Member Traci Park said prior to the City Council meeting on Friday. “But unfortunately, the Department of Building and Safety issued a demolition permit before my team and I could fully intervene and get this issue resolved.” Following the meeting, Park told the LA Times that the motion to evaluate the structure for monument status is only the first step in saving it.
“What is most important about what we achieved today is that this automatically and immediately triggers a temporary stay on all building permits while this matter is under consideration by the cultural heritage commission and the City Council,” Park said. She shared that “hundreds of people from all over the world” have contacted the office to note their concerns about the home’s future. “For people all over the world, Marilyn Monroe was more than just a movie icon. Her story from her challenging childhood growing up in orphanages and foster homes to becoming a global sensation is a shining example of what it means to overcome adversity.”
Built in 1929, the last known sale of the L-shaped house was in 2017 when an undisclosed buyer purchased it for $7.25 million, a whopping $350,000 over the asking price. Unsurprisingly, the dwelling has been pretty popular with house hunters over the years, with six unique offers placed on the property immediately after the blonde bombshell’s death, per the Post. Monroe paid $77,500 ($790,000 adjusted for inflation) for the estate.