Liverpool are supporting Luis Diaz after what they have described as an “ongoing situation” involving the player’s family.
The Associated Press news agency reported that the parents of Colombian and Liverpool striker Diaz were kidnapped on Saturday.
Colombia president Gustavo Petro said on X, formerly known as Twitter: “In an operation in Barrancas, Luis Diaz’s mother has been rescued, we continue the search for the father.”
Liverpool said on Sunday morning: “Liverpool Football Club can confirm it is aware of an ongoing situation involving the family of Luis Diaz in Colombia.
“It is our fervent hope that the matter is resolved safely and at the earliest possible opportunity. In the meantime, the player’s welfare will continue to be our immediate priority.”
Liverpool signed Diaz from Porto in January 2022 in an initial £37.5million deal that included a potential extra £12.5m in add-ons.
The 26-year-old winger has made 11 appearances this season and scored three goals.
Diaz did not feature in Liverpool’s 5-1 Europa League victory over Toulouse on Thursday but had been expected to return for Nottingham Forest’s Premier League visit to Anfield on Sunday.
(Photo: Getty Images)