Creating the ideal bedtime setup is a matter of finding quality sheets, a nice pillow, and the perfect type of mattress for you. And only the best bed frames can pull it all together, of course. A bed frame has to do double duty as a statement piece of furniture and a durable, sturdy base that supports you night after night—and all the bed frames on this list check both boxes.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: Castlery Emery Bed ($1,299)
- Best Affordable Bed Frame: Zinus Shawn 14-inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation ($107)
- Best Minimalist Bed Frame: West Elm Simple Bed Frame ($449)
- Best Upholstered Bed Frame: Article Uden Bed Frame ($1,299)
- Most Versatile Bed Frame: West Elm Midcentury Bed ($1,199)
- Best Wooden Bed Frame: Burrow Chorus Bed ($1,899)
- Best Statement Bed Frame: Sarah Ellison Yoko Bed ($5,095)
Ahead, discover the very best bed frames with in-depth reviews from our editors, including budget-friendly options, different styles, and of course, the very important delivery and assembly details. (Curious about alternative types of bed frames? Browse our DIY bed frame guide.)
Please note that prices reflect queen-size beds. However, most of the featured frames are available in additional sizes and finishes.
Wooden Bed Frames
Bed frame reviewer: Madeleine Luckel, design editor
- Material: Kiln-dried solid and engineered wood and solid pine slats
- What attracted you to this bed frame? The main reason was that it had a headboard, and its narrow dimensions meant it still fit in my New York City bedroom. Midcentury modernism isn’t always my favorite style, but I liked the clean and elegant lines of this piece. I also thought the tone of the wood had a nice warm glow to it.
- What was the delivery and assembly like? I arranged for assembly from West Elm in addition to delivery, but it was tricky to get it to arrive. It was a few years ago at this point, but the delivery person did not show up for the scheduled time slot twice. The third try everything worked out, but it was a hassle to repeatedly coordinate being home from work in order to accept it. (This was, of course, back in the pre-work from home era!)
- Did the bed frame live up to your expectations? Yes, but I think my expectations were pretty much just that the bed frame have a headboard and fit in my room. (It has continued to fit in every room I’ve lived in since, FYI!) I will say that I was more into its appearance at the time I ordered it than I am now.
- How would you rate the sturdiness of this bed frame on a scale of 1–10? I would probably give it a 6 or a 7. At one point when I moved, and it was disassembled and rebuilt by my (very good) movers, it ended up with a constant squeak. The next time I moved I asked them to screw it together extra tightly, and the problem was solved, but it was an issue for a couple of years and seemed like something that could happen to other customers.
- Would you recommend this bed frame to a friend? Yes, if it fit the parameters of what they were looking for. It’s fairly low to the ground, so some things that I would like to store underneath it (such as my standard-size Away suitcase) don’t fit. If the friend lived in New York or another city apartment, I’d be sure to note that.